Sunday 3 February 2013

Don't Pee on My Leg and Tell Me It's Raining by Judge Judy Sheindlin

America's toughest Family Court judge speaks out. 

"Can we get some reality in here?" asks Judy Sheindlin, former supervising judge for Manhattan Family Court. For twenty-four years she has laid down the law as she understands it:

  • If you want to eat, you have to work. 
  • If you have children, you'd better support them. 
  • If you break the law, you have to pay.
  • If you tap the public purse, you'd better be accountable.   
Now she abandons all judicial restraint in a scathing critique of the system - filled with realistic hard-nosed alternatives to our bloated welfare bureaucracy and our soft-on-crime laws. 

---------------------------------------------------

Wow! What an interesting book. I have been a fan of Judge Judy for many years and always thought she had a sensible head on her shoulders. Watching her judgements on television I respected her for her quick mind and open dislike of anyone taking advantage of others, whether that meant a personal friend or government services. This book has really strengthened my view that Judy Sheindlin is a lady we should listen to and respect. 

I sat down to have a quick flick through this book and found it impossible to put down. I have now finished reading it in one sitting. What an amazing voice Judge Judy has, she spoke sense and gave suggestions on how to overhaul the prison and benefits systems, pulling mainly from her experiences in the Family Court. I live in the UK but I found that as a society we are currently discussing and experiencing many of the problems mention in this book. It makes me want to send a copy to our government and hope they take note of the recommendations made within. 

The book uses many of her past cases to back up the changes she advises . It is heartbreaking at times but very thought provoking. I am sure it will take me a few days to digest all that has been mentioned. Judge Judy speaks in a way that shows both her humor and intelligence. I thoroughly enjoyed every element of the book and found it informative and entertaining. It is impossible to read this book without it having a deep effect on how you view the worlds of both the social services and legal courts. 

I rate this book 5 out of 5 stars. 
A fabulous book, full of years of wisdom and written in a funny and entertaining way.  i couldn't put it down and highly recommend it. 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment